St Andrew's Ball Chester Town Hall
As a result of dwindling numbers attending the Association’ premier event for families, the Committee had introduced a new venue and a revised programme for this year’s Ball.
The new venue was Chester Town Hall, a Grade 11 listed building that was officially opened by the Prince of Wales in 1869. The pink and buff sandstone building is impressive from the outside and even more impressive on the inside. After mounting the stone steps up the entrance, the guests made their way up a spectacular staircase with dark wood panelling on the walls decorated with shields and plaques presented by visitors to the Town Hall. The drinks reception was held in the spectacular upstairs chamber with a throne on east wall. President Harry Crook resisted the suggestion that he should sit on the throne.
The ball took place in the downstairs Assembly Room that looked really welcoming with all the tables decorated with a floral display in the centre and elegantly laid with sparkling cutlery and glasses. An excellent meal was interrupted by an Address to the Haggis before this traditional dish was served. The dancing began after the President’s Address and once again, we were lucky to have Nicol McLaren and the Glencraig Scottish Dance Band. As an added bonus, there were fine prizes on offer in the raffle.
The organising committee, driven by Jim Lester, should be congratulated for implementing the changes with special thanks to Angus McSween for sorting it all out. The general opinion was that the venue, the meal, the dancing and indeed, the whole evening, had all been a great success. Roll on November 2016.